Roland AIRA MX-1 Mix Performer
You are here: Home1 / Shop2 / Live Sound Mixers3 / Analog Mixers4 / Roland AIRA MX-1 Mix Performer
Roland AIRA MX-1 Mix Performer
18-channel Performance Mixer with Step-sequencer, FX, Transport Controls, Tempo Control, and 4 AIRA Link USB Ports
Categories: Analog Mixers, Digital Mixers, Live Sound MixersTags: Roland, Roland Mixers
Categories: Analog Mixers, Digital Mixers, Live Sound Mixers Tags: Roland, Roland Mixers
* price is set by the local distributor
Did You Know That ... We Teach We Deliver We Support We Finance You Can Earn Points
A Mixer That’s Meant to Be Played
Roland created the AIRA line to expand your performance beyond anything you’ve experienced before, and the new MX-1 Mix Performer performance mixer follows that same philosophy to the letter. You’ll have unheard-of control of your synths, drum machines, computer-based audio tracks — virtually anything you use to make music — in a single unit specifically designed as an instrument to enhance your performance experience. Like all AIRA gear, all of the controls live on the MX-1’s surface, with absolutely no need to dive through confusing menus or deal with layered controls to access functions or effects…
- 18-channel performance mixer with step-sequenced channel and master effects
- Per-channel Beat FX including filter, sidechain, and slicer
- 6 channel-assignable Master FX with large performance control knob
- Multiple variations on each beat and master effect give you tons of tonal options
- 16 miniaturized TR-style buttons create a step sequencer that’s familiar and playable
- Tempo with fine, shuffle, and tap-tempo functions controls all of your synced gear
- Master FX Combi mode alternates effects in tempo using the step sequencer
- AIRA Link support for automatic 2-way control with one cable
- Port 3 supplies bus power when you plug in a piece of AIRA gear
- All USB ports support audio, MIDI, and sync functions for all enabled devices
- 6 variable fader curves on each channel give you precise control of your mix
- Mix mode provides standalone mixer control and effects for all inputs and outputs
- External mode gives you plenty to mix with up to 18 channels of DAW audio
- Acts as a MIDI control surface with transport controls to navigate your DAW easily
- Mixer conveniences you’re familiar with including DJ-style cue monitoring, easy-to-access mute buttons, and smooth faders
- Tone/Filter knob on each channel with 10 kinds of EQs, filters, and isolators for detailed sound shaping
- Scene Memory gives you instant save and recall power for entire mixes including tempo and effects
- Designed for live performance with super-bright LEDs and easy, familiar workflow
18-Channel Performance Mixer with Step-Sequenced FX
The MX-1 Mix Performer brings together your synths, drum machines, loops, DAW tracks, and more into a single performance-optimized mixing instrument. Combining elements of a mixer, control surface, audio interface, and step-based effector, the MX-1 is designed to be the nerve center of your electronic music rig. It’s a mixer you can play – and so much more.
Mix it up
With six analog inputs, four AIRA Link USB ports, digital I/O, send and return jacks, and the ability to stream 18 channels to and from your DAW, the MX-1 brings together a wide range of musical sources and puts them directly under your fingertips. But this is no ordinary mixer. The smooth, solid faders each have six different volume curves available. Every channel has an adjustable Tone/Filter knob with ten types of filters, EQs, and isolators. Mutes are placed for quick access, working with the LED-lit faders to clearly show their status, even in dark environments.. The DJ-style headphone cue monitoring lets you smoothly mix in any source whenever you’re ready, or drop in tracks right on the beat. Separate headphone and master volume knobs along with smooth and bright metering keep levels firmly in check. And everything, including all the FX configurations and settings, can be saved and recalled for instant access.
Dramatic. Rhythmic. Get the desired effect.
There’s no question that effects play a huge role in creating a unique vibe and defining your sound. And the MX-1 integrates effects in exciting new ways. Not only do the MX-1’s effects sound great, they’re designed for ready manipulation and rhythmic sensibility, thanks to the MX-1’s tempo awareness and the TR-style step interface.
In addition to an aux send for feeding external effects, each channel has its own Beat FX including Filter, Side Chain, and Slicer. These are applied using sixteen TR-style step sequencer buttons like those found on famous Roland drum machines. This lets you independently filter, duck, and slice each channel, creating cool rhythmic variations, polyrhythms, and all manner of intricate grooves. Beat FX can be instantly switched on and off per channel with dedicated, illuminated buttons.
Six kinds of Master FX, each with lots of variations, add spice and drama to any or all channels. And the large control knob gives them supreme playability. The Master FX can even be step-sequenced in various combinations, creating stunning movement and glitchy interludes that must be heard to be fully appreciated.
Loves computers. But enjoys its alone time
Computers already play a big role in production, and they increasingly play a role in performance. But they don’t always integrate so well with other live instruments, and require their own audio interface and controller. The MX-1 addresses these problems through its ability to operate in any one of three different modes.
In Control Surface mode, the MX-1 can sync to your computer and act as a high-quality MIDI controller for your DAW. Cool. But it gets way more interesting…
In Mixer mode, the MX-1 can mix all connected sources, including analog and digital inputs, AIRA gear, and your computer’s output. While there’s a dedicated channel for a stereo output from your computer, you can also send computer audio to USB channels 1 thru 4 if no device is connected to the AIRA Link USB ports. Very cool.
In External mode, the MX-1 can send all its inputs directly to your DAW, acting as a high-quality audio interface. At the same time, it can mix 18 channels back from your DAW, putting them on the MX-1’s faders. This lets you utilize the recording, clip triggering, effects, and mixing functions of your DAW along with the MX-1’s cue monitoring, sync, and performance-optimized mixing and effects capabilities. It’s mind-bending stuff. Just take a moment to imagine the possibilities.
While the MX-1 obviously makes working with a computer way more fun, it’s just as happy on its own. So whether it’s full hands-on control of your DAW or completely out-of-the-box production and performance, the MX-1 is right at home.
Get connected. Link in and sync up
The MX-1 is so much fun to play that you’re bound to want to plug all kinds of things into it. Four individual 1/4-inch jacks support just about any kind of instrument, and the stereo 1/8-inch jack is perfect for smartphones, tablets, and various gadgets. There are also four AIRA Link USB ports that make connecting your AIRA gear literally plug and play. With fully automatic detection, AIRA Link USB ports transmit audio, MIDI, and sync over a single USB cable. One of the ports can even provide bus power for a compatible AIRA device like the TB-3 Touch Bassline or VT-3 Voice Transformer. AIRA Link reduces cable clutter and makes setup fast and simple. The MX-1 is also fully time aware and gives you hands-on control of start, stop, tempo, and timing. Sync an array of musical devices over MIDI or AIRA Link. Control everything with the brightly lit TR-style start/stop button and large tempo knob with fine adjustment, shuffle control, and tap function.
The mixer. Reimagined as an instrument
While the MX-1 is sturdily built, highly flexible, and extremely capable, all this mixing and effect control would be nothing if it were confusing or cumbersome to use. But the way mixing and effects are so cleverly and thoughtfully implemented in the MX-1, everything is fast, immediate, and intuitive. Most of all, it’s musical, and designed to be played. Like all AIRA gear, there are no confusing menus or layered functions to slow you down.
Unified recording, clip launching and performance mixing for Ableton Live
The MX-1 Mix Performer’s “Live Mode” takes its forward-thinking approach to mixing and formidable audio interface capabilities and blends it with the ability to fully control Live’s clip and scene launching as well as track selection and monitoring. The result is a unified environment that lets you naturally mix hardware and software, record any input directly to clips, launch clips and scenes, apply hands-on, step-sequenced effects, and even take the whole thing to the stage where you can really play Live. And if you already use a controller like Push, the MX-1 integrates perfectly, expanding the capabilities of both, and opening up new possibilities for your music.
- Type: Performance mixer and interface
- Sequencer: 18 channel mixer with step-sequenced FX, transport and tempo control
- Sampling: Yes
- Number of Effects: 64
- Effects Types: 8 x Delay, 8 x Filter, 8 x Scatter, 8 x Flanger, 8 x Bit Crush, 8 x Roll
- Analog Inputs: 4 x 1/4″ TS, 1 x 1/8″ TRS (stereo in), 2 x RCA (stereo aux return)
- Analog Outputs: 2 x 1/4″ TS, 1 x 1/4″ (headphones), 2 x RCA (stereo aux send)
- Digital Inputs: 1 x Coax (S/PDIF)
- Digital Outputs: 1 x Coax (S/PDIF)
- MIDI I/O: In/Out
- USB: 4 x Type A (AIRA instruments, USB enabled devices), 1 x Type B (Function)
- Height: 2.56″
- Width: 15.75″
- Depth: 10.44″
- Weight: 4 lbs.